[thelist] Project Websites

Boris Mann boris at bmannconsulting.com
Fri Jan 31 23:31:01 CST 2003

On Friday, January 31, 2003, at 09:52 PM, Tony Grimes wrote:

> I've got a large web project starting on Monday and I need to build a
> project website for the stakeholders to give feedback, download the
> meeting
> minutes, etc. I remember reading about a book that went into detail
> about
> building them, but I can't remember the title or author.
>
> Do any of you guys have any recommendations on books or websites that
> talk
> about project websites? I've got the basics in my head, but I want to
> cover
> all my bases.

Go and download phpCollab (http://www.phpcollab.com). Absolutely, hands
down, the best free/open web-based project management tool I've ever
had the *pleasure* of using.

Out of the box, it will likely cover all your needs. Requires PHP and
your choice of MySQL/MS SQL/Oracle, and likes both IIS and Apache.

Here's a short list of features:
- projects, tasks, and subtasks
- user roles, from project manager to user to client user
- ability to "publish/unpublish" items that are to be viewed by client
users on the project web site, so you can have as many offline
discussions with your team without involving the client(s) but still
keep everything related in one place
- Gantt charts
- discussions
- can upload files, then have "peer review" versions attached

etc., etc. etc.

Documentation is a little light (I'm jumping in to help with this) but
everything is fairly intuitive. Feel free to contact me offline if you
have any questions about installing/using it.

--
Boris Mann
http://www.bmannconsulting.com