[thelist] Pop-up windows on AOL Netscape

Darbie Marlin DMarlin at webmaker-nw.com
Sat Feb 1 12:46:02 CST 2003

(I *tried* to search the archive, really, I did!)

I've got a web site that uses pop-up windows to focus on the many
items for sale:
http://www.balloon-specialties.com/valentine.html

The user has three options to close the pop-up window: clicking
on the 'X', clicking on the 'close window' button and clicking on the
image itself. However, if the user clicks on the main browser page,
of course, the pop-up doesn't close, it shuffles to the back of the
desktop.

I have named the pop-up window smallWin:
target="smallWin" onclick="var
popWin=self.open('holidays/valentines-day/i-love-you-big-time.html',
'smallWin','height=450,width=240,left=10,top=10,resizable,scrollbar
s');popWin.focus(); return false;">
so that, when the user clicks for another image, it won't open a
second pop-up, but will simply fill the already open pop-up.

The problem: it appears to work on both Internet Explorer and
regular Netscape Navigator. That is, it will bring the small pop-up
window back to the front. But (and here's the major problem), when
the client uses the Netscape Navigator on AOL (not sure if this is a
version problem or not), if she *doesn't* close the window, and it
shuffles to the back, when she tries to open another window,
smallWin does not return to the front.

Have you any thoughts about what I may be doing wrong? Any of
you on AOL that could test this would be appreciated.

TIA,
Darbie Marlin