[thelist] CMS opensource Xaraya

Russell Griechen russgri at bellsouth.net
Sun Feb 2 16:25:01 CST 2003

"Russell Griechen" <russgri at bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:mailman.1044215401.20029.xaraya_public-dev at lists.xaraya.com...
> One programmer viewed Xaraya and commented:
>
> damn still html4 transitional and splitting styles between "IE" and "NN"
> > (like Postnuke old) - any plans for it to go xhtml compliant with ONE
> > stylesheet?
John Cox ...Project Manager of Xaraya wrote a follow up;
You are getting this within a few minutes of posting on the Xaraya Mailing
List.
This is the first indication that they are getting real close to Beta...

"Just a little follow up here:"

The reason there is a NN style sheet in the defaul theme, is because I got
real lazy and just grabbed one of my old theme outputs and used it for the
template.  The theme that you see today is just a temp theme to get us
closer to release.  If you look on http://www.dinerminor.com you can see
that I am just using the one style sheet.

The styleNN's were never really used correctly in the PN world, due to my
lack of communication skills to educate folks on the feature that I believe
that Tim L. put in the system.  Worse yet, I never gave an example of how
best to use them.  They were always overloaded, and I believe that there was
a bug report that was sitting around for 5 months on the subject that never
seemed to get the priority it needed because I knew that we were heading to
templates, and getting rid of the crappy embedded type styling and
formatting.

Its up to you if you want to use the two style sheet methods or not, because
its all controlled in the template.  Personally, I don't care if my site
renders to anyone but me, but that is just because I am constantly working
on it, and don't get, nor want a whole lot of traffic.  Some folks do want
to cater to 4.0 browsers, and its entirely up to you.  There is no
header.php or footer.php.  Its all controlled in the theme templates.  So do
as you wish on that:)

xhtml 1.0 was chosen for a couple of reasons, but probably the biggest to me
is that is where php is heading with its own output.  It would be silly to
use html when it will never validate because html kicks out xhtml tags (like
I seem to remember that the validators hate those tags that PHP produces
because they are xhtml).  If you look up the nl2br function on php.net you
will see further what I mean.

Currently we have two people working full time on the modules and block
templates (Bri and Dracos) to get us to xhtml compliance, which isn't really
that far off.  Today there were a round of changes that hit, that went a
long way to getting there (also broke some things).

The code base is coming together very nicely, and I think that we will see
the last of the core changes this week.  However, its still very sloppy as
we are developing at a fast rate, and we will probably be calling for a
feature freeze soon on the code base in anticipation of a beta release for
bug isolation and performance enhancements.

Make sense, or am I rambling as normal?