[thelist] Another interesting encounter with Google listings (was: An interesting encounter with thelist archive ...)

Rob Whitener rwhitener at DesignOptions.com
Tue Feb 4 07:40:01 CST 2003

If he doesn't want you to link, then you shouldn't link.  But that reflects
poorly on your client.  If your work is good, it shouldn't matter if your 6,
16, or 60.  Maybe you could translate that particular site into some kind of
downloadable document media other than HTML.  Take screen shots and put them
into a PDF or something and then let people download that from your
portfolio site.  You don't need to remove a chunk of your portfolio, your
client doesn't get linked to by an untrustworthy, lazy 16 year old ;).

So you hand code everything in notepad huh.  Thats pretty hard core.  Props.

Rob

-----Original Message-----
From: David Bindel [mailto:dbindel at austin.rr.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2003 8:32 AM
To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: RE: [thelist] Another interesting encounter with Google
listings (was: An interesting encounter with thelist archive ...)

> Anyway ... my FYI is this. I recently got word that the
> developers of the site had been googling to check its
> ranking and came across the site-check discussion on the
> evolt.org/archive.
>
> So, I pass along this heads up, you never know when your old
> posts will come back to haunt you.;-)

I recently had a problem similar to this.  One of my clients actually
demanded that I remove the link to his website from my portfolio.  Why?
My portfolio page appeared in Google's results whenever someone searched
for his company name, and on my webpage I admit to being 16 years old.
Apparently this had caused one of his customers to back out of a $250
sale because the customer "did not trust the work of a 16 year old."

By the way, I'm not your average 16 year-old Frontpage-wielding web
designer... I've read the W3C recommendations, I hand-code *valid* XHTML
1.1, CSS, and PHP through Notepad, and I strive to make the websites as
accessible as possible (table-less, fluid layout through CSS, WCAG Level
Double-A, etc.), so please don't make the assumption that I'm "just a
kid" because I'm 16.

Anyways, my client told me to either remove my age from my own website
(it's a personal site for crying out loud!) or remove his website from
my portfolio.  Do any of y'all have suggestions for my situation?

TIA,
David Bindel

http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/