[thelist] why program in accordance with standards?

Nicky Thompson nicky.thompson at Rightmove.co.uk
Tue Feb 4 09:16:00 CST 2003

> --- Martyn Haigh <martyn.haigh at virgincosmetics.com> wrote:
>
> > What I want to ask is can anybody recommend any online reading of
> > why you
> > should program in accordance to the standards?  I understand why
> > myself -
> > but I really think it would be better if I could point him to a few
> > sites
> > that explain it (better than I can).

CSS Talking Points:
http://www.alistapart.com/stories/csstalking/
Selling your clients on standards-compliant design doesn't have to hurt.

Better Living Through XHTML:
http://www.alistapart.com/stories/betterliving/
Everything you wanted to know about converting from HTML to XHTML, including
why you'd want to...

Why don't you code for Netscape?
http://www.alistapart.com/stories/netscape/
ALA makes the case for authoring to web standards instead of browser quirks.

These are just the good ones I picked out for you in two minutes. Check out
http://www.alistapart.com/stories/ for a full list of everything they do.
This is a really cool site, with lots of techno articles but also stories
about getting paid, writing good content etc. My one beef would be that they
rarely update. Quality over quantity tho eh.

HTH
Nicky