[thelist] XHTML <applet> vs <object>

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Tue Feb 4 18:38:01 CST 2003

At 2:44 PM 2/4/3, Aleem Bawany wrote:
> How would I convert the above applet code to object code
> so it will validate?

I don't know of a reliable way to get it to validate both to the spec and
to the range of existing browsers. When the spec was rewritten, and said
"Begone, APPLET & EMBED!", I did not see suggestions on how the world might
eventually reach their desired state of affairs.

One resource you may wish to check is Drew McLellan's article named "Flash
Satay". He investigated how various current browsers handle replacing the
EMBED tag with an OBJECT tag. I don't see a firm chart of which features
worked in which browsers (data-passing, script/object intercommunication in
addition to visibility), but depending on what browsers your audience has
chosen he may have some tips to help your APPLET work here:
http://www.alistapart.com/stories/flashsatay/

jd

John Dowdell, Macromedia Developer Support, San Francisco
(Best to reply on-list, to avoid my mighty spam filters!)
Technotes: http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/
Column: http://www.macromedia.com/desdev/jd_forum/
Technical daily diary: http://jdmx.blogspot.com/