[thelist] Can't Open UNC Paths from ASP or PHP

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Wed Feb 5 01:06:24 CST 2003

If you are using anonymous IIS access then the default NT accounts:
IUSR_<machinename> and IWAM_<machinename> (for out-of-process websites) are
local accounts, ie they do not have access to remote resources. (this is not
the case on Windows Domain Controllers, because they only contain Domain
accounts - but you probably shouldn't be running a production website on a
DC).

a) disallow anonymous access. Require the user to provide valid NT
credentials that do have permissions to the remote resource, which will be
used by IIS to access the remote resource.

b) change the anonymous user account to a domain account, or some other
account that does have access to the remote resource

Cheers
Ken

From: "Josh" <josh at eaccessit.com>
Subject: [thelist] Can't Open UNC Paths from ASP or PHP

:
:  I am using my schools webserver to access shares on other computers on
: the network.  The webserver is on the school network.  I can't get
: openDir in PHP or filesystemobject in ASP to access the shares.  It is a
: Red Hat linux box.
:
: Anybody know why?  Or better yet, how do I fix it?
:
: Thanks,
: Josh
: