[thelist] ASP advantages and disadvantages

shawn allen shawn at alterior.net
Thu Feb 6 17:46:01 CST 2003

quoth AJ McKee:
> A loaded question I am sure, and one covered before, but I was
> wondering on a personal and professional level what developers think
> the advantages and disadvantages of Active Server Pages are?
>
> Leaving out the marketing blurb and the "Linux" is better stuff, what
> are the sound reasons for going with ASP and the bad things about ASP.

It's not really about Linux specifically, but the fact that there are a
wide variety of operating systems and software packages on which you can
build a decent webserver. While ASP may not be inferior to the
alternative technologies (PHP, JSP, CF, WebObjects, etc.), you're
seriously limited by the fact that it runs *exclusively* on IIS, and
only on Windows.

The disadvantages of running a Windows webserver with IIS are the
expensive licensing costs, increased maintenance and support costs, and
potential security risks inherent in running traditionally vulnerable
Microsoft software (for example: Code Red, SQL Slammer, etc.).

And though I've never used ASP, I can conjecture some possible
advantages: rapid development (I hear really good things about the .NET
frameworks), easy integration with an existing Windows infrastructure,
and a big, shiny GUI IDE :)

--
shawn allen
  mailto://shawn@alterior.net