[thelist] Simple/cheap Image manipulation program

Chris Johnston chris at fuzzylizard.com
Thu Feb 6 23:50:01 CST 2003

Hugh Blair wrote:

>I'm looking for a simple-to-use and inexpensive image
>manipulation program for a client. She needs to take
>large (1200x1600 px) .jpgs from her digital camera and
>do some work on them. She'll then upload them for her
>web site. Keeping them at the highest quality will be
>important.
>
>Here's what I expect her to do:
>1 - load image from camera on computer,

This may need to be done using the software from the camera.

>2 - crop image if needed,
>3 - resize and save image in 3 sizes - in pixels,
>     (400 wide, 110 wide, 50 high), keeping the
>      proper proportions on all smaller images.

My first suggestion would be to check out Adobe Elements. It is a
stripped down version of Photoshop that is under a hundred dollars and
should do exactly what you are looking for.

If you are on a mac, just use iPhoto.

Other suggestions are:

PaintShop Pro - http://www.jasc.com/

ACDSee 5 - http://www.acdsystems.com/English/Products/PowerPack/index.htm
- limited image manipulation tools, but amazing management

The GIMP - http://www.gimp.org/ - A little harder to use, but hey, its free

--
Chris Johnston

chris at fuzzylizard.com