[thelist] [PDF] opening fullscreen

Ben Morrison ben.morrison at dogstardesign.co.uk
Fri Feb 7 08:23:10 CST 2003

Client wants a PDF to open up full screen when  a user follows a link from
an email. We have tried using:

If you send the MIME-type "application/octed-stream" or
"application/x-msdownload" (or in fact any MIME-type unknown to the browser,
such as "francois/jordaan"), the browser will prompt the user to save the
file.

But could not get this to work.

Another route was to open the pdf in a new window with fullscreen="yes".

Flakey indeed but they seemed happy - yet we couldn¹t manage to add a close
button for the window. Tried using Acrobats actions and javascript but the
window was returning undefined - tried giving the window a name:
pdfopen=window.open to no avail.

Has anyone opened a pdf fullscreen from a link, or got the MIME-type route
to work before or managed to place a close button in fullscreen from PDF.

Basically the client wants that powerpoint look and feel but on the web. We
have warned them that its all dependent on reader installed and javascript
turned on. As a last resort we can do flash, but the extra time to go from
quark to flash makes the job worthless in terms of price/time.

Any ideas?

benjer