[thelist] Frame & Javascript Situation

Rob Smith rob.smith at THERMON.com
Mon Feb 10 11:17:01 CST 2003

Me again. I found the solution to my problem:

Here's what the link should read as:
For specific installation details, contact your local <a href=#
onClick="opener.parent.parent.mainFrame.window.location='../Offices.htm';
window.close();">Representative</a>.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Smith [mailto:rob.smith at THERMON.com]
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2003 8:58 AM
To: Thelist (E-mail)
Subject: [thelist] Frame & Javascript Situation

Hi,

I'm clueless with this one, perhaps a kind soul will help. I have a standard
layout:

+-------------------------+
|frame 1                  |
+-----+-------------------+
|frm 2| frame 3           |
|     |                   |
|     |      opening      |
|     |    a new window   |
|     |                   |
|     |                   |
+-----+-------------------+

I want to point out that frame 3 has a link to open a small popup with
further "instructions." Not only do I want to close the window that popped
up, but I want the page that opened up the new window to change to something
else.

Here's my link (that does just this):
 For specific installation details, contact your local <a
href="javascript:opener.parent.parent.mainFrame.window.location='../Offices.
htm'" onClick="window.blur();">Representative</a>.

However, after "hiding" my popup and redirecting my opener frame, I want the
popup to close. But I can gather that Javascript commands execute before
http requests in this situation. If I add: window.close() after the ';', the
parent page does not go to the Offices page, but the popup closes.

Can you think of a way to trick the browser in this instance? Is there a
child.close() function? (answer: probably not)

Rob.Smith
http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/