[thelist] webserver inside domain or outside domain

DESCHAMPS Stéphane DvSI/SICoR stephane.deschamps at francetelecom.com
Wed Feb 12 11:21:01 CST 2003

--
> -----Message d'origine-----
> De : thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org
> [mailto:thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org]De la part de Chris W. Parker
>
> hi.

Hi Chris, I'll reply to what I can only ;)

> 1. what are some guidelines to go by when trying to determine if a
> webserver should be a part of a corporate domain or not? (we only have
> one domain, and one webserver, all are win2k based machines.)

Back in the old days when one had only one domain and no hands-on server,
it was easy. Each part was in its directory and basta (/thisdir and
/thatdir).

Now if you want to have shorter names and more ease-of-use,
development-wise, I'd suggest using subdomains for things that belong to
the same company. It gives a sense of consistency.

To go on with my example:
http://thissubsite.mycompany.com
http://thatsubsite.mycompany.com

And if I have a completely different "product" to sell, then I'd go for a
completely separated domain name: http://myotherproduct.com

Compare:
subsites :
- http://www.microsoft.com
- http://msdn.microsoft.com
different product:
- http://www.msn.com
to see what I mean.

I'm not sure I'm clear enough. I'm going home right now.
;-)

s t e f
http://www.nota-bene.org/
--
[ winmail.dat was deleted, please don't send attachments with your message. ]