[thelist] getURL isn't Getting a URL (Flash 4)

shawn allen shawn at alterior.net
Wed Feb 12 13:50:00 CST 2003

quoth Rob Smith:
(me):
> >Perhaps the standalone Flash player doesn't permit the opening of
> >local files? Have you tried it with the file:// prefix? Have you
> >tried an http:// URL?
>
> http:// worked but the target destination of this is going to be a cd. and
> we want to assume that our clients are from a time without internet
> connections.  file://folder/file.html didn't work.

Actually, you might need to specify it as file:///folder/file.html.
                                                 ^ note the extra slash

"file://" is the protocol, and even though there's no host component,
you should still have to provide the root slash. I'm not entirely sure
if this will work at all on Windows. How about a relative path like
'folder/file.html', where 'folder' is a directory at the same level as
your flash movie?

--
shawn allen
  mailto://shawn@alterior.net