[thelist] Spam Cop??

Jeroen Sangers evolt at jeroensangers.com
Thu Feb 13 09:16:01 CST 2003

Koutoulas, Pete <PKOUTOUL at Fayette.k12.ky.us> wrote:
> Anyone here have any experience with these guys? (spamcop.net) I just
> got a "second notice" from them. They say they have gotten complaints
> on me and if they get another one they will "block my network." They
> give no specific information about the "complaints" but say it could
> be "open mail ports, violations of our acceptable use policy, and
> other various complaints. Email us for more information."

If this was truely a spamcop report, they included a report number and a
link to the full report information. You can see the full spam messages
originating from your server, so you can see exactly what happened. By the
way, if no more SpamCop users are reporting spam from your server, you will
be delisted automatically after some hours. If more reports appear, you
probably have a problem on your servers.

> The last time I got one of these, I did email them -- three times --
> and never received a response.

The replies you have send were automatically forwarded to the SpamCop user
who reported the spam. So your replies have ended up in the mailbox of an
end-user and not with SpamCop.

> So who are these guys? Who elected them the cops of the Internet? And
> what do they mean when they say they will "block my network?" Can
> they do that? And why the heck should I be concerned about *their*
> acceptable use policy?

SpamCop is only a service that finds out for you where spam messages came
from, and lets its users send a report to the responsibles of this server.
They also have a blacklist with IP addresses reported in the last hours, so
ISP's can label or block messages from these servers.

> The irony here is I detest spam and have never ever ever spammed
> anyone. I feel like a victim of big brother.

Are you sure you haven't got a hole in one of your servers???

Kind regards,

Jeroen Sangers

www.jeroensangers.com
www.fimcap.org