[thelist] Will bouncing spam really help?

Ben Dyer ben_dyer at imaginuity.com
Thu Feb 13 10:27:01 CST 2003

I've been using the "Bounce to Sender" option in Apple Mail for most spam I
receive for the past three months or so and I haven't seen that much of a
decline in spam.

It seems to bounce to the To: or Reply-To: address, which is often forged
anyways.  Unfortunately, this means that any unsuspecting soul who might be
at the other end will get a million bouncebacks, automated messages, angry
replies, etc.

There was something on Slashdot and Politech about this yesterday:
<http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/03/02/12/1730219.shtml?tid=111>

--Ben