[thelist] using includes and performance issues

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 13 10:42:01 CST 2003

Question:

I'm working with a client who is putting a bunch of things in include
files (now is ASP, will end up in JSP). This is a heavy table driven
site, and most of the includes are tops and bottoms of different
styles of tables, a top one would look like this:

align="center" class="PanelBorder">

and it would have the corresponding bottom one, so for that one table
you would have two includes like this:

<!--#include file="../global/includes/top.asp"-->
interior table
<!--#include file="../global/includes/bottom.asp"-->

I might have 2-3 tables on a page, plus some other elements (for/next
arrows, stuff like that) that are also includes.

I'd say the average page has 10 includes. Some have less, some more
detailed pages have more.

Does this affect performance issues? If so how? I understand their
desire to keep a design standard and using includes is one way, and
the pages are all slightly different.

Any comments are appreciated!

Tom

=====