[thelist] Application Vars in ASP

David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil
Thu Feb 13 12:50:01 CST 2003

>As for having a need for it, I guess it really depends on the type and
>size of your applications. Take a look at Jacob Gilley's Pure ASP File
>Upload at http://www.asp101.com/articles/jacob/scriptupload.asp for a
>practical demonstration...

>From the same site here's another *great* example:

	http://www.asp101.com/articles/jacob/calendar/default.asp

It's a calendar application that uses two classes, a Calendar class and a
Day class. The format allows you to plug in events into any day shown on the
calendar.

I customized this script a long time back to add some fancy style
capabilities and the ability to read those styles from an XML resource file.
I was able to replace a nasty, horribly-coded (four-year-old spaghetti code)
calendar I'd written way back when with this modified code and it (a) worked
better, (b) ran faster, and (c) was easier to modify.

Also, in the site I just finished I have several core classes that are
usable across the whole site: an XmlUtilsObject (one line of code gets you
XML-to-XSL transformations), a DatabaseObject (encapsulates all data access,
appends variables to stored procedures, etc), the CalendarObject, and a few
others.

No, VBScript isn't "real" OO, but classes definitely make things a lot
easier once you start using them. :)

-dave