[thelist] MySQL data Sync'ing Backup

gabriel rivera evolt at protocol0.com
Mon Feb 17 01:09:01 CST 2003

> I need a way to backup my data from a remote server
> (evolt) on my own server.

> I'm using MySQL.

I once set up a ghetto-rigged MySQL backup solution...wrote a perl script to
stop the 'master', scp the db data files to the 'slave', and restart.

This was a lame approach, but the point is mysql data files are
binary-compatible between servers, so you can do this sort of thing.  If you
do go that route, use mysqlhotcopy and there's no need to stop the master.

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/mysqlhotcopy.html

Obviously this won't cut it in a production environment.  But these days
MySQL supports real replication, which I've never played with.  This is what
I've heard anecdotally: Replication in 3.x can be slow and sketchy, and
configuring 2way (dual master) is pretty slim on documentation.  In 4.x its
apparently pretty sweet.

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Replication.html

Also, this guy is on mysql guru level...the presentation notes have good
clues in them for further research, esp. the replication one.  Makes me want
to go to conferences.

http://jeremy.zawodny.com/mysql/

<btw>

This guy works for yahoo finance...how sweet is it that Yahoo is adopting
LAMP all over the place?  I love being able to tell clients that yahoo's
legions of programmers are replacing their proprietary scripting tools (and
sometimes Oracle) with MySQL, PHP and Perl...usually any lingering doubts
about putting them on an open source platform end there.

</btw>

-gabriel