[thelist] RecordSets, Paging and Looping, oh my!

Erik Bennett ebennett at ecasd.k12.wi.us
Mon Feb 17 13:42:01 CST 2003

--
Ok, I think I may be in over my head on this one, but hopefully someone can
at least point me in the right direction, since I can't seem to find what
I'm looking for.

This is all being done through ASP and Access.

I have a registration ASP page that pulls all of the registration info out
of a database, and formats it nicely (alternating color rows) and also
allows some interactive work on each of the registrations via a drop down
list that is dynamically generated based on the registration file (i.e.
update, delete, re-printing of confirmation page).

With me so far? Well, our registration process went much better than
expected, and now registration for one section is over 450 entries long...
even on our speedy internal network, this takes the page a loooooong time to
render, so I figured I'd split the data results into pages of 25. Found a
script that does it, but I couldn't add my special stuff to it, because it
only pulls info out of the database and displays it all dynamically, so I
can't specify certain things (like a drop-down in one field, or a link in
another).

What I've got so far... I can display the pages, and as I increment page
numbers, it shows that current page and everything ahead of it, (i.e. page
17 shows 17, 18 & 19; page 16 shows 16, 17, 18 & 19) and also pages that
show only the first record. (Consequently, when it shows only one record, it
is the right record that should be there if it listed all 25.

The code for the page that will display only one record is at
http://www.ecasd.k12.wi.us/webmaster/test_paging.txt
<http://www.ecasd.k12.wi.us/webmaster/test_paging.txt> . The original page
(one long list) is located at http://www.ecasd.k12.wi.us/webmaster/reg.txt
<http://www.ecasd.k12.wi.us/webmaster/reg.txt> .

Ok, after all that, I realize that what I need is some kind of loop to
display what's in my RecordSet, or better yet, I've moved the RecordSet to
an array, but can't figure out how to access the array like I normally would
if I were just doing what I'd done before.

I hope this all makes sense to someone, and I apologize in advance for my
rambling. :-)

Thanks in advance as well!

Erik

Erik Bennett
ECASD Webmaster 	Network Accounts
ebennett at ecasd.k12.wi.us <mailto:ebennett at ecasd.k12.wi.us>
accounts at ecasd.k12.wi.us <mailto:accounts at ecasd.k12.wi.us>
http://www.ecasd.k12.wi.us <http://www.ecasd.k12.wi.us/>
http://www.ecasd.k12.wi.us/webmaster/accounts
<http://www.ecasd.k12.wi.us/webmaster/accounts>

500 Main Street
Eau Claire, WI 54701

Phone:  715-839-6290 x551
Fax:    715-833-3481

--
[ winmail.dat was deleted, please don't send attachments with your message. ]