[thelist] Cold Fusion, Q-Mail, Spool Files

Seth Fitzsimmons seth at note.amherst.edu
Mon Feb 17 19:42:01 CST 2003

> I'm wanting to by-pass cold fusion to send multiple e-mails. Does anyone
> have experience in writing mail directly to the spool of an SMTP agent
> known as qmail?

Understandable; cfmail has problems.  However, you don't want to write
directly to the spool, as that's overly complex (and, in traditional
unix fashion, there are small utilities that already take care of it for
you).

> Do I really need to know everything about SMTP to insert into a spool file?

No, but you do need to know a lot about inodes (as that's one way qmail
keeps track of messages).

> I've never done this, and the idea of wading thought a host of RFCs seems a
> little intimidating. Anyone have a template of what a single inserted email
> might look like? Or perhaps just some good advice or URLs on how to
> start  thinking about the process?

As Gabriel suggested, you can write / modify a Perl script to send mail
to your box over SMTP.  This makes a lot of sense if the mail server !=
CF server.  However, if you're running CF on the same machine that's
running qmail (*nix, as qmail won't run on windows), you can write a
custom tag (cf_mail?) that does a cfexecute on qmail-inject [1] with
appropriate parameters.  This will put any email directly into the queue
without having to futz with inodes or send traffic over SMTP.

Hope this helps.

seth

[1] http://www.qmail.org/qmail-manual-html/man8/qmail-inject.html