[thelist] database connection across different IP's

Paul Bennett paul at teltest.com
Tue Feb 18 17:52:01 CST 2003

Anthony Baratta wrote:

> At 02:58 PM 2/18/2003, Paul Bennett wrote:
>
>> We have a client who wants to connect an Access db to their website to
>> post job listings. They have a permanent internet connection with a
>> fixed IP address, but no webserver at their premises (so there goes the
>> idea of  them hosting their site from their office using their permanent
>> connection).
>> Their database server is (obviously) behind a firewall.
>

> Paul...
>
> Do they have a Database Server or just an Access Database, or both?? This
> makes a big difference.

Our Business dev. Manager met with the recruitment company yesterday and
unfortunately I (the guy who makes it all work) was not included in the
meeting, (even after recently implementing a daily bathing  routine.) I
am beginning to think I really should have been. My guess is that they
have a database server, as they are running some software that
interfaces with the database for them, and I *guess* they have access to
it from all their desktops.

>> My question is this: is it possible to use php to access a database
>> server behind a firewall using not a domain as a "pointer" (is that the
>> right word?) reference but an ip address.
>

> You can, but not with Access hosting the data you are looking for. (Hence
> the first question.)

So if it just a single desktop app, the answer would be a big fat "NO" ?

> I think what you want to do is "push" new data to your remote web server,
> versus pulling data from the internal network to the web server. Just
> script up a VBS program and run it in cron.

This assumes they have a central server that is capable of running that
type of job. The update is only daily (thankfully).

> Have it attach to the source
> datadase, query for the data you want, then dump that into your remote
> Database. If you are using mySQL

yes we are

> you can still use ODBC for your remote
> connection. Otherwise you could feed an XML file (or other structured
> file,
> CSV, tab deliminted et.al) to an admin script and have that parse it and
> (re)populate your remote database.

ok, that gives me another option to look into.

--
Paul Bennett
Internet Developer
Email : paul at teltest.com