[thelist] keeping the computers synchronized

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Tue Feb 18 22:24:02 CST 2003

I'll need to check, but from memory, marking a folder as available "offline"
should mark all sub-folders also available offline (up to the limit of hard
drive space to use you have configured).

So it seems to me that your problem is that you're creating new folders on
the desktop. Instead, create one folder and make this available "offline" on
the laptop. Then create your new folders underneath this parent folder.
Alternatively, navigate to:c:\documents and settings\yourUserAccount\
and make the "desktop" folder there available "offline" on the laptop.

In terms of what I use - a combination of roaming profiles + Intellimirror
(desktops, My documents etc are redirected to server locations). For
development files, I use VSS (Visual Source Safe), which keeps track of
files I've worked on etc.

Cheers
Ken

From: "Jeniffer C. Johnson" <lead at offlead.com>
Subject: [thelist] keeping the computers synchronized

: I'm in search of a solution. I do most of my client work from my desktop
: machine. While I do back up client files to CD periodically, as well as at
: the end of any large project, there are often files I don't have backed up
: sitting on my documents drive. Recently, however, I've found myself
: traveling more often, which leaves me doing client work from the laptop.
My
: problem is keeping current copies of my client files on the laptop, with
as
: little work on my part as possible. Currently I've got Win2000 pro
: installed on both machines, and via my network at the house I have the
: important directories in the desktop's document drive synchronizing to be
: "available offline" on the laptop. The problem with this solution is that
: any new directories or subdirectories created on the desktop do not
: automatically get picked up by the laptop when it synchs. I have to go
into
: the laptop, remember what all I've created recently on the desktop, and
set
: THOSE directories to synch as well. This is time consuming, and at best
: it's a disaster waiting to happen. I find myself, for example, suddenly
: faced with having to leave town this weekend for a funeral, and I've spent
: the last few hours trying to remember what I've worked on in recent weeks,
: trying to make sure I don't end up without vital files while out of town.
:
: So what do you all do to keep your machines synchronized?