[thelist] Dreamweaver + apache for PHP development

John Corry webshot at members.evolt.org
Fri Feb 21 14:31:07 CST 2003

I'm having a bit of a configuration issue that I'd like a little help
with.

If you're using DW for server side development and using Apache as a
testing server, you'll be particularly familiar with this issue.

I have a site that uses a function library. The function library is
included using php's require() function. The library is in a folder
ABOVE THE DOCUMENT ROOT and is included with a complete machine path to
the main include, like this:
require("/home/xicor/phpfunctions/library.php");

The problem I'm running into is that I have public_html as the DW 'Local
Root Folder' and also as Apache's 'DocumentRoot'. Files in that folder
require files from a diectory above this root directory.

So how do I set it up so when I make the parent folder the 'Local Root
Folder', all of my files still map to the right directories on the
testing server and production server?

It's some combination of Apache and DW config that I haevn't figured
out. Has anyone set up something similar?

Thanks,
John Corry
<tip type = "PHP/Apache">
Don't forget that you can use .htaccess to specify dir level changes to
the php.ini
http://www.php.net/manual/en/configuration.changes.php
</tip>