[thelist] Webalizer - does one need admin privileges to install it?

j.d. welch so.there at showtunepink.com
Sat Feb 22 14:03:01 CST 2003

On Friday, February 21, 2003, at 05:21 PM, Lauri wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> A client just wanted to know whether they would need root privileges on
> a Linux server to install a copy of Webalizer for their site (they're
> on
> shared hosting). I didn't find a final and satisfactory answer from the
> documentation.

as several people have said, it's likely possible and pretty easy.
however,  have you asked the hosting provider to do it for you?  it's a
really common package that could benefit all the users on the system,
so they might just do it.  if you already know the sysadmins, just ask
directly, or submit a ticket about it, being very nice and pointing
them to the webalizer website (though they've likely heard of it
already).  worth a try, anyway.

-jd

    J.D. Welch			|    so.there at showtunepink.com
    graphic designer    	|    http://www.showtunepink.com