[thelist] handling PHP session and logins

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 22 16:47:00 CST 2003

Hi,

I'm trying to kick a user to a login page if they have not logged in.
I am having trouble though, with dual headers sent. I can't
understand how to fix the logic, and I thought I had it working
right. Maybe someone can straighten me out on a good way to do it.
Here is what I have been doing:
<?
// The following 3 variables will have been set at the login
// process page already.

session_start();              <-- this sends a header of course
$uid       = $_SESSION["uid"];
$firstname = $_SESSION["firstname"];
$aid       = $_SESSION["aid"];

$isAdmin    = 0;
$isLoggedIn = 0;

if(isset($aid))
{
	$isAdmin = 1;
}

if(isset($uid))
{
	$isLoggedIn = 1;
}

// Now I check to see if they are logged in, if not - I want
// to kick them out

if($isLoggedIn == 0)
{
	// not logged in
	$msg = "Aaugh! You have to be logged in to access that page!";
	header("Location: login.php?msg=$msg");  <-- second header
	die();
}

The problem is when they are NOT logged in, i get the "Warning:
Cannot modify header information - headers already sent.." error.

What am I doing wrong?

Tom
?>

=====