[thelist] Validate HTML, Problem with Form

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Sun Feb 23 14:52:01 CST 2003

On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 02:31:14PM -0500, aardvark wrote:
> that disables the autocomplete feature in Internet Explorer... you
> may have noticed on some forms, the browser pops up suggestions for
> what you're typing, just like it does for the address bar...

Oh. I don't do anything that's not in the spec. I guess that's why I've
never heard of it.

> > > 2) wrap="virtual"
> >
> > Use CSS instead and set the width property for the text area. e.g.
> > <textarea style="width: 100px"></textarea>
>
> he's not doing it to control its size... the wrap attribute controls
> how the data in the text box is passed to the server -- as continuous
> text, or as each new line in the box getting a newline character...

Isn't he? Typically wrap="virtual" is used to control the Netscape 4
behaviour of no wrapping in the textarea until the user types a hard
return. It was irritating (at best) to use this kind of form. I now use
width to control the "width" of the space you can type into. See:
http://xtrinsic.com/geek/articles/workfiles/textarea.html

There is at least partial support for width in Netscape 4. See:
http://www.webreview.com/style/css1/charts/mastergrid.shtml

> given that 'virtual' mimics the default behavior, this one is likely
> unnecessary to use...

It was necessary in Netscape 4 to control sideways scrolling on the
form...

Perhaps the original poster could clarify why he was using wrap="virtual"?

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]