[thelist] tinyURL usage

Kevin Cannon p+evolt at redbrick.dcu.ie
Mon Feb 24 13:34:00 CST 2003

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 01:38:16PM -0500, rudy wrote:
> give up, guys
> use tinyurl.com

I kind think tinyURL and things of their ILK are actually a bad idea.

I find 5 years time it goes bust or starts using ads then all the hyperlinks
in mailing list archives etc... will be lost, and searching archives won't be
much use.

I understand the idea in principle, but I think encouraging webmasters to
create shorter URL it's a better idea.

Also, many URLs can be shortened:

Can be shortened to:
and still function correctly,

Usually there's only one or two key pieces of information.

I think ifpossible people should try to do that.

- Kevin