[thelist] IIS ASP puzzler

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Tue Feb 25 17:59:00 CST 2003

Please post the *exact* error you are getting, not some vague description of
what is approximately what you recall seeing at some stage in the past week.
You're an MCSE - didn't you learn anything?

As you can see, these vague descriptions have already prompted a flurry of
further posts asking for more information!

Lastly, if the exact same code[1] works on another website on this machine
then you'll need to start looking at NTFS related issues. Are both sites
running under the same anonymous user context? Are the NTFS permissions the
same for both users for both folders where the respective databases are
located?

However, there are a number of errors that are similar to the text you have
posted:
- Operation requires an updateable query - NTFS problem

- Current cursor does not support updating - this is an ADO recordset
problem. You may be using adLockOptimistic in your code, but is
adLockOptimistic defined? Are you using Option Explicit to catch these
things? If not, why not?

- Could not open ''. File in use, or you do not have permission to view the
data - NTFS permissions problem.

Cheers
Ken

[1] I'll take your word for it that are a cognisant of what things can make
two pieces of similar looking code not an exact match.

From: "Dougal Campbell" <dougal at gunters.org>
Subject: Re: [thelist] IIS ASP puzzler