[thelist] Referral Programs

Norman Bunn norman.bunn at craftedsolutions.com
Wed Feb 26 10:21:00 CST 2003

At 05:07 AM 2/26/2003, Belinda Johnson wrote:
>Hi all -
>
>One of my clients wants to start an affiliate program (to offer affiliate
>linking on his ecommerce site) and I am unfamiliar with being on that end of
>it. I've been on the receiving end of affiliate programs like Linkshare,
>Befree, etc - but not on the merchant side before.
>
>What are some recommended software/scripts/resources to consider? His site
>is on a Windows server, but we could just as easily put him on one of my
>Linux servers.
>
>He is currently using Mals for his shopping cart needs - which we have WAY
>outgrown on this site - he started off with a very small amount of products
>and it has been successful enough to warrant a far more robust back end at
>this point, and also to the point that he is starting to get requests for
>affiliate options.
>
>Thanks in advance for suggestions.
>
>Belinda

Belinda,

I use Miva Merchant on my e-commerce sites as it comes attractively
packaged with my hosting company.  Recently they released a compiled
version which is much faster than the VM version (http://www.miva.com).

Merchant has a large support community and hundreds of add-on modules to
help tailor the shopping cart to your specific needs
(http://www.mvcool.com/  and http://www.vikingcoders.com/ are two sellers
of modules).  For one module specific to affiliates see
http://vikingcoders.com/store/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=VC&Product_Code=BROK_AFFILIATES.

I have been pleased with Merchant as a low to mid-range solution, though I
would hesitate to recommend it for a high-end need.

YMMMV,

Norman
www.CraftedSolutions.com