[thelist] winXP registry

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Wed Feb 26 18:50:01 CST 2003

I suppose this way off-topic but...

If you want to "import" values into the registry, you can create a .reg file
with the values you want. Double-clicking on it will import those values
into the existing registry. This is handy if you need to propogate changes
to a large number of clients (rather than typing it in manually), or if you
have a installation program that needs to modify the registry etc. Hope that
explains the .reg file.

You can't open the registry in notepad. It's
a) a binary file
b) contained in several physical files, some of which are locked by Windows
so you can't open them directly.

You edit the registry using a registry editor, such as regedit.exe or
regedt32.exe

I don't see that key in my registry, but you could add it if you want. Use
regedit.exe and open the relevant key. On the right-hand side, right-click
and choose "New Reg_DWord". Rename it to the value you want
"TaskbarGroupSize", and change the value to 00000003

You may need to logoff/logon to get this value to change as certain values
(especially for things like Explorer) are only read when you logon.

Cheers
Ken

From: "Tom Dell'Aringa" <pixelmech at yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: [thelist] winXP registry

: --- Ryan Christensen <ryan at dres.org> wrote:
:
: > Editing ones registry shouldn't be done by the faint of heart..
: > however, if you feel brave............
:
: Ok, I feel brave but still confused. I found regedit but this is what
: the instructions say to do:
:
: "..user defined grouping. It's currently set at 3, if you want to
: change this number open the .reg file in notepad and edit the line:
:
: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
:
:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanc
ed]
:
: "TaskbarGroupSize"=dword:00000003"
:
: I can't seem to find that key in regedit (even though I imported it)
: but it seems anyway you open and change it in NotePad..but I can't
: find that file! How do I find that file to open it in notepad? Search
: for TaskbarGroupSize.reg?