[thelist] Supporting scripts that generate bad code (was: oh, the irony!!!!!)

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Thu Feb 27 09:28:01 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Boris Mann" <boris at bmannconsulting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 3:11 PM

> This raises an interesting question: should one support
> scripts/software that generates "bad code"? I would think this is
> another area to take a stand and insist on standards.

I think in an idealist world then this stand would make sense.  However,
there are enough "unskilled" web workers that use the web to put food on the
table that this won't happen any time soon.  The use of cheap WYSIWYG
editors will proliferate until proper code is enforced by all major browsers
and bad code is replaced by the browser with a page that says "The page you
are viewing is shoddy, go somewhere else to spend money and time."

Just my 2cents.

-joshua