[thelist] IE6, <select> menus & CSS 'width' property

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Sun Mar 2 12:16:01 CST 2003

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 01:00:13PM -0500, ghuytro wrote:
> I've tried using CSS to constrain the width of the select menu to 150px, but
> it only appears to work properly in NS6+.

What's your CSS for this? Are you trying to constrain the "select" or the
"option"? I'd recommend changing the width for "option" instead of select.

> In IE6 (I haven't tested it <IE6), the select menu is properly constrained
> in width to 150px, but when you click on it, the "body" of the menu remains
> 150px wide cutting off any text that may exceed this length.

Have you considered explicitly setting the "overflow" and "clip"
properties? See:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visufx.html#overflow-clipping
I would try the following to start:
	overflow: visible;
	clip: auto;
(Note: clip only applies if overflow is NOT set to visible.)

Seeing the page where this occurs would be helpful. These are just stabs
in the dark without having the actual CSS and a sample output page.

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]