[thelist] quick css ?'s

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Sun Mar 2 14:31:01 CST 2003

On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 06:39:15PM -0600, Erik Mattheis wrote:
> I have a class "hot" which is applied to a <td>. I want that td to be
> width: 25%
> This <td class="hot"> contains a table which I want to be 100%.
> .hot { width: 25%;}
> .hot table { width: 100%;}
> doesn't do what I want. Can I make that table 100% without giving it
> it's own class? What am I trying to do?

What is it that you want? Do you want the inner table to fill up the
"entire" 25%? What does it actually do? What browser did you test it in?
Is there a page we could look at?

Is it possible that another style is overriding your .hot table selector?
What about margins, padding and border? Are they set for either of .hot or
.hot table?

All of these questions affect the solution to your problem. More info would be
useful...

In the mean time I would recommend the following:
	- make sure there is not a cellpadding or cellspacing set for any
	  of your tables (or nested tables)
	- check the padding and margin properties for all tables and the
	  .hot class
	- add a background color to .hot table to see where it's actually
	  stretching to
	- you could also try setting "table" to display: block which would
	  make it 100% of whatever area it's in (unless you specify a
	  different width). Not sure how this will affect nested tables.
	  You can see a sample of a single table set to block at:
	  http://www.xtrinsic.com/geek/articles/workfiles/table.html

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin