[thelist] Best practice for signalling offsite links

DESCHAMPS Stéphane DvSI/SICoR stephane.deschamps at francetelecom.com
Mon Mar 3 11:11:11 CST 2003

Hi Jon,

On my intranet we have a charter that says that every out-link should be accompanied by an icon. Of course they know nothing of ALT and TITLE attributes, but it's a beginning. On the sites I'm on, we try to always put an ALT that at least says something like "(external link)", of course.

We even have an internal quality charter that /forces/ us to put an icon everytime we link to a resource external to our site. And if we don't conform we're not "labelized".

> PS I'm new to posting but an ardent lurker - will come up
> with a tip soon to pay for my request - honest.

It's not off-topic at all IMHO, so don't feel compelled for a tip, although tips are always welcome ;-)