[thelist] Simple HTML form question

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Mon Mar 3 16:56:01 CST 2003

Scott Brady <mailto:evolt at scottbrady.net> wrote:

> From: David Dorward <evolt at david.us-lot.org>
> > Word of warning: When the input grabs the focus any text in it gets
> > selected. This often leads to the following sequence of events.
>
> Maybe this is different amongst the browsers, but in my
> experience, you have to explicitly .select() the text to get
> it to automatically select the text upon loading.  .focus()
> just puts the cursor in the field without highlighting any text which
> might be there.

in this case you start typing at the cursors position which is also very
annoying. for example a visit to Washington Mutual's website goes like
this...

1. i go to http://www.wamu.com/
2. click in the username field
3. start typing
4. tab into the password field
5. get halfway done with my password by the time the page fully loads
and executes the onload event
6. cursor goes back to the username field and i write the latter half of
my password in front of my username

VERY ANNOYING!

on the brighter side, i look at it as a race. if i do it fast enough i
can beat the page and press enter before it shakes its fist in my face.

chris.