[thelist] lowsrc in XHTML

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Thu Mar 6 15:06:01 CST 2003

danielEthan wrote:
> Does anyone have the foggiest idea why the lowsrc attribute from the
> image tag in xhtml was removed?

It was never (AFAIK) part of any spec, just a Netscape extension.

> Is there something analogous to this that can be used?

You could certainly fake it with JavaScript -- use a low-res image
as the SRC attribute, and swap in a high-res replacement later. Not
good for people with JS turned off, of course :-)

And I can also imagine faking it with server push, but haven't seen
it done (nor tried myself). Actually, now that you mention it, I've
got a current project where that might be useful; hmmmm...

FWIW!
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.