[thelist] Portal Websites > User Moderation?

Taz taz at freshegg.com
Fri Mar 7 11:00:01 CST 2003

Andrew wrote:
> "the only thing I can say about IP banning is that you may inadvertly
be banning more than one user, as the IP address could be a service
provider etc."

This is a good point, I will have to wait and see if anyone else comes
up with another suggestion.

NOTE: Although we are a membership based website, it's not as simple as
just banning that member or deleting their account due to the fact that
some of our modules (Guestbook and News commenting) allow anonymous
interaction. Of course, the simple answer is to just disallow this
feature and restrict it to members only. However, I can still ask and
would prefer any other viable option.

the only thing I can say about IP banning is that you may inadvertly be
banning more than one user, as the IP address could be a service
provider etc.

I have had problem like this and ended up mailing the people responsible
with a polite warning it generally stops.

Andrew

http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/