[thelist] Mozilla breaking a table layout...

Chris George codemonkey00 at mac.com
Fri Mar 7 16:22:01 CST 2003

On Friday, March 7, 2003, at 02:17 PM, danielEthan wrote:

>> Can anyone shed some light on this?
>>

> Hi Chris. I added a <br clear="all"> right before the table and that
> fixed it.

Great! That fixed it, thanks... very odd... in the 6 years I've been
doing this, this is the first time I've had to use that specific
attribute... and this design is hardly cutting edge either...

> I'm not sure what's causing your problem, but given the table
> inside a table inside a table inside a table... I can see where
> problems might arise.

Ya ya. :-P  I'm stuck creating cheap-o web sites with like 4 day
turnarounds. I hate it too. :-P

> You may also want to validate your pages. While
> no issues with this problem popped up, there are some missing alt tags
> and what not.

Yup, last-stage I run all the pages through validators, this is alpha...

> I'm not going to preach the semantic web. I've done tableless sites,
> but I don't think they're ready for primetime, at least with a client
> such as yours. Probably a lot of people on WebTV and old AOL browsers.
> But you may want to consider simplifying how many tables you are using
> for layout, and add embellishments that  aren't integral to the content
> in css.

I may. But like you say, the majority of the visitors are AOL users
(even companies that manage to use AOL as a business 'solution', if you
can believe that)... Without really getting into it,
gui's/look-and-feel tend to be the focus for my clients. And while
they're still using crappy 4.0 and under browsers, this is how I can
accomplish that on a shoestring budget...

Anyway. That was my sob-story. :-P

> Good luck.

Thanks!