[thelist] PHP Learn-by-examples book

j.d. welch so.there at showtunepink.com
Sat Mar 8 01:41:01 CST 2003

On Saturday, Mar 8, 2003, at 01:29 America/New_York, Russ wrote:

> I'm looking for a recommendation for a PHP book that'll show me some of
> the basics in example format.  I'm not looking to master the language
> (but then again, maybe eventually), but I'd like to be able to dive in
> and accomplish some of the basics of data input, data display, etc.
>
> Can anyone make any recommendations?

well, if you've got experience with perl or c, the syntax is easy to
pick up.  i personally like "Programming PHP"
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/progphp/> or "Web Database Applications
with PHP and MySQL" <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/webdbapps>, as far
as dead tree resources go, but i really think finding something close
to what you want to do on hotscripts.com and using the (amazing)
php.net manual[1] to figure out the functions and methods is the
easiest "quick-and-dirty" approach to figuring out PHP (imo, the
quintessential quick-and-dirty, wonderfully practical, web scripting
language).

-jd

1='classic' php tip: enter http://php.net/$function_name for a direct
link to a function's page