[thelist] Contract Opinion

Philip Warbasse (info) info at warbassedesign.com
Mon Mar 10 09:36:01 CST 2003

Hi Gina,

I have been freelancing (contracting) for several years.  Hold harmless
agreements are "par for the course" and nothing to be paranoid over at all.
Basically, they want you to be responsible should you accidentally break a
pc or delete critical information, etc.  You should obtain professional
liability and errors and omissions insurance if don't already have it.
These coverage's protect you from actions arising from this very clause.

What I do in this situation is ask the company I am working for to name "my
company" as an additional insured on their policy.  This is a great way to
go because it is very inexpensive for the employer to add to an existing
policy and the insurance companies actually encourage this because it keeps
you from becoming a hostile witness should something go wrong and you have
to go to court.

Congratulations on your account.  Sign the contract.  Enjoy the work and
your hard earned fee!

Sincerely,
Philip Warbasse
www.warbassedesign.com