[thelist] Andrew's drill-down problem (was: Select - forms)

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Mon Mar 10 16:03:01 CST 2003

Ok, I pre-apologized, but will do so again about going overboard about
a thread that went haywire in a dozen directions.

Andrew emailed me off-list, and it seems thelist could indeed help him
out here (yes, he did code it himself) - and scanning the thread makes
it more confusing, not less. So I'll try to start this off anew.

It seems the problem can be described as: the output of the select
boxes (or results) on the page are incorrect, or at least different
than what Andrew intends.

If I understand what the app is supposed to do, is to find a list of
businesses of a specific business type in a specific town or city in a
specific county.

It seems to me a few sensible ways of doing this would be:

Page 1. Choose a county
Page 2. Choose a city
Page 3. Choose a business type
Page 4. Display results

or

Page 1. Choose a Business type
Page 2. Choose a County
Page 3. Display results and offer to filter those results by city
Page 4. Display filtered results and offer to filter by city again

It seems to be doing this:

Page 1. Choose a county
Page 2. Choose a county, city and business type
Page 3. Display results

As someone said before it doesn't make sense to give the opportunity to
choose a county after the visitor has already done so ... or if you're
trying to do something different, please describe what that is, in
Pages like I did above - and then at what page in the process you get
results other than what you expect, and under what circumstances. For
example: Page 3 doesn't work for Essex, it shows results for whatever
county the visitor chose last.

Apologies, again Andrew.
Erik Mattheis
GoZz Digital