[thelist] Blogging through email... (Japanese charset)

Christian Anderson chris at jobdragon.com
Tue Mar 11 02:22:16 CST 2003

Hi,

I am putting something together in ASP, and have a small snag.  I am using
JMail to get my updates off my mail server (I'm updating through email), and
that's working fine when I send something in English.  The problems start
when I try to send something in Japanese.

If I start out the entry in English, then go to Japanese, it works without a
problem.  If I start the entry in Japanese, or write the whole thing in
Japanese, it shows up as garbage text.

Have any of you encountered these kind of problems?  I'm thinking that it
might be a problem with my server being an English OS, but am not sure.  I
have been using them for all kinds of applications in English/Japanese and
there hasn't been a problem in inputting data into an Access db, but this
time its not working...

I've also checked out the charset.  I looked at what the phone is sending,
and its ISO-2022-JP.  I went into my script that checks the email, and set
the charset to ISO-2022-JP, and changed a few other settings that may have
been screwing with header information.

Basically, no matter what I've fiddled with, the subject line shows up as
trash... the message body though can show up in proper Japanese.

So, I think that I'm having a bit of a conflict between what my computer,
the mailer, and my keitai think are proper character sets.  When I set the
charset on the document that shows my blog to ISO-2022-JP, the text that I
input into the source (not what's coming from the email) shows up fine on my
PC but not the keitai, and text that comes from my keitai and through the
mailer shows up as garbage as well.  If I set the charset to ISO-2022-JP,
the text coming through the mail shows up fine on the keitai, but then the
text that I've typed into the document (.asp file) shows up as trash on the
keitai.

Basically, the text coming through the keitai is ISO-2022-JP.  What the heck
is coming off my computer?  They are obviously different character sets...
and I can figure out how to get them to work together... (>_<)

Any ideas?

Chris