[thelist] IFRAMES -- what?!

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Wed Mar 12 08:53:44 CST 2003

On Wednesday, March 12, 2003, at 08:23  AM, Kae Verens wrote:

>> <iframe src="iframe.html"> content for NN 4 and other browsers that
>> don't support iframe.</iframe>
>
> That's not a perfect solution, and can still cause immense headaches.
> It requires, for example, that you have two copies of every page on
> the site, and that the navigation be very very careful.

I'm not sure if I get your meaning, but if you mean "You have to have a
version of a page for browsers that support iframe and a version for
for browsers that don't", this (to my understanding and (limited)
experience) it's incorrect.

Content between <iframe> and </iframe> is ignored by browsers that
support iframe and displayed by browsers that don't.

For my particular purpose at the moment, I'm working with just links
and brief summaries of news items, so duplicating all the content for
NN4- won't be a headache or add significantly to page load time, as the
content html of my iframe is going to be about 3K and it's the exact
same thing as between <body> and </body> of the iframe src ... so
duplicating the content will be no extra work (it's generated from a
database call) ... I also have the option of saying something like:

<iframe src="news.cfm" frameborder="0"><a href="news.cfm"
target="_blank">Read News &gt;&gt;</a></iframe>

Err ... id you mean something else? I'm all ears, as I wrote the text
iframe for the first time last week ... is there something it seems I
don't know that I should know about?
Erik Mattheis
GoZz Digital
<http://goZz.com/>