[thelist] IFRAMES -- what?!

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Wed Mar 12 09:46:19 CST 2003

On Wednesday, March 12, 2003, at 09:14  AM, Koutoulas, Pete wrote:
> Erik, I'm getting in on this late (our mail server lost a lot of my
> TheList
> messages overnight) so this may have already been addressed. But I am
> curious, if you have access locally to the content that is in the
> iframe,
> why bother with one in the first place?

This thread is new today: Only important thing you may have missed was
in the initial post "any pro/con discussions?"

In answer to your question: I think using iframe in my situation is
good because it allows:

- current news items to be near the top of the page, convenient for
returning visitors
- visitors with 800 x 600 resolution see the beginning of the "meat" of
the home page without scrolling
- visitors with larger windows can see a whole lot of the meat without
scrolling
- search engines will see and index the meat of the page as higher (if
- my client to see a neat widgety thing and they like neat widgety
things

In the "cons" column would be the opposite of all points above except
the first point. And the last point: my client originally requested the
news be displayed like something else they described which sounded like
DHTML to me, so they might like that better, but I'm not going to touch
it.

Erik Mattheis
GoZz Digital
<http://goZz.com/>