[thelist] character encoding tip PS

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Thu Mar 13 11:53:48 CST 2003

I forgot the < & > encodings...

<tip author="emmajane" topic="entity encodings">In HTML/XHTML all
(and I really do mean all) & < and > must be encoded. (This
means your URLs too.) Sometimes I have a hard time remembering
which is the less-than and which is the greater-than. You too, eh?
Well fear not. I have a little trick for you. Put out your hands
(palms pointing away from your body) and make Ls with your pointer
fingers and thumbs (one L per hand). Now turn your hands slightly
so that the pointer fingers are pointing at each other. Now you have
two angle brackets. Your Left hand makes a capital L and is conveniently
also the Less-than (lt) sign.

You can encode your amps and angle brackets with:
&amp; makes &
&lt; makes <
&gt; makes >
</tip>