[thelist] macromedia.com works! (+email server security tip)

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Thu Mar 13 12:26:24 CST 2003

Uh, perhaps some people here will find great pleasure in reading the
feedback I just sent Macromedia:

<my_feedback>
It took me an hour and a half to find the Extensions Manager installer.
Problems I encountered:

No link to download the extensions manager on Flash Exchange home page.

Searches on your site for things like "download extensions manager" and
"extension manager" produced no results relevant to what I was looking
for.

OS X problems: Netscape 7 conststantly froze on the Flash Exchange main
page, IE 5.2.2 gives a JavaScript error each time the content
refreshes. After switching to HTML version in IE 5.2.2, I was
consistantly put me back into Flash version when I visited a page on
Flash Exchange.

Searches on google.com turned up links to pages that in turn linked to:
http://dynamic.macromedia.com/bin/MM/exchange/em_download.jsp
which redirects to the Flash version of the Exchange page, putting me
back in the same trouble I was in before. Seems to me you'd like this
to redirect to the download page, or put a link to that download in the
app.

Finally, after installing the new version of the Flash Player on IE 5.5
Windows (something I didn't want to do as I like to keep that browser
representative of most of the visitors to the sites I create) it
occurred to me to search your site for "Extending Flash", which finally
got me to the correct page.
</my_feedback>

I'm still a Flash zealot, but right now am pissed at all the time
wasted today, which included an hour of looking for my Flash MX
installer CD previous to the headache above.

<tip type="Testing your email server's security" author="Erik Mattheis">

http://www.ordb.org/submit/ is primarily intended to report an email
server which is allowing spammers to forge identities, but is useful to
ensure that your own email server is not an open relay. Testing never
hurts.

</tip>

I learned the last part of that tip the hard way: after reinstalling, I
thought I remembered my email server's SMTP security preferences from
before, but obviously I had not as a smammer found it and used it.

Erik Mattheis
GoZz Digital
<http://goZz.com/>
Flash and ColdFusion Development