[thelist] Cron/Ping?

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Thu Mar 13 18:55:49 CST 2003

Of course they can do it on their end - they can use Windows Task Scheduler
to schedule a task (though, running an .asp page probably isn't the best way
to do batch processing - creating a batch file and running that every x
minutes would be better)

Obviously you could do something similar. If you have a machine that's
permanently connected to the 'net, then schedule IE (or some HTTP component)
to issue a GET request to that page every minute.

Cheers
Ken

From: "Christian Anderson" <chris at jobdragon.com>
Subject: [thelist] Cron/Ping?

: Hi,
:
: I have an ASP script sitting on my server (2K), and I want to have it hit
: every minute or so, so that it can check email, update the site itself,
: etc...
:
: Anyway, I asked my host to set up a cron job to do this every minute, and
: this is what they said back:
:
: >We can't really do this on our end, but there are numerous ping programs
: out
: >there that have this function. You could probably find a program that
will
: >call this page however often you want.
:
: Anyone have any ideas as to what I should use?
:
: Chris