[thelist] Macromedia & "Rich Internet Applications"

Kelly Hallman khallman at wrack.org
Fri Mar 14 10:54:43 CST 2003

Tom,

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Tom Dell'Aringa wrote:
> I can't help but think back to 1999-2000 in the dot.com heyday, where
> buzzwords for products where being thrown around like crazy and this
> sounds so much like that.

Wait, this ended in 2000?  This ended?

> Blah blah blah my tools are better than yours blah blah blah.
> Marketing not quantifiable.

Isn't that always true?  Should I go on microsoft.com and create a laundry
list of marketing fallacies that you seemingly accept by running Windows?

Seems a little easy to pick apart this material since marketing is pretty
much the business of making you think you need something you don't.

> Looking at the Emerils site, I don't see anything impressive.

95% of CSS-based sites look like blogs to me, yet I don't attempt to tear
down the arguements of the CSS-heads or berate the developers...

> Where is the REAL benefit to me the developer? Why should I push for
> this at my company? I don't see much reason.

This goes for most of the products I see out there, including a lot of the
products that people on this list trumpet.  If it doesn't make any sense
to you, flex your capitalism -- don't buy!

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Scott Harman wrote:
> Our web developer was most upset as he was pretty much redundant for the
> entire process.

I think that's what it really comes down to.  Most of the people who are
overly critical of the new MM site are people who are afraid that this
type of site approach will catch on and then they will be obsolete :)

I think the new Macromedia website is interesting, it certainly does "push
the envelope"...whether in the right direction or not is subjective.  It
has it's rough edges, but it's an interesting concept.

For all the flames here, it's surprising that none can at least
acknowledge what a massive undertaking their new site was.  Even if you
think it's complete garbage, you've at least got to realize that it's
pretty technically-intricate garbage..

If they really are shooting themselves in the foot as many here have
suggested, so be it.  I kinda lost faith in them when they bought
ColdFusion.  If they didn't have Flash and Dreamweaver they'd be about as
successful as Microsoft without Windows and Office.......

--
Kelly Hallman
http://wrack.org/