[thelist] Delete all FP Code

Sharon F. Malone sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com
Tue Mar 18 21:28:33 CST 2003

On Tuesday, March 18, 2003 6:46 PM, Michele mourned:
> I do have DW 4 (and 3) as well as my text editor of choice (editplus) at my
> disposal .. and of course I could cringe and open FP2K too. ;)

Don't know how much I can contribute to your dilemma. I had a very similar situation with one client whose site I inherited quite awhile ago. Done in FP98. It's now in FP2K. Was only 80 pages which, next to yours, is nothing but it sure looked big to me (still does).

Tip: I don't have the words as to how cludgy it is to work in the FP editor. I have EditPlus also and do nearly all changes toFP pages in it and Front Page merrily accepts them. Dreamweaver can throw in its own code. I always work in EditPlus hand coding (if I have a choice).

I didn't and still don't have a CMS. So I created a template in Front Page which took care of all the <head> information anyway, set up the <body> skeleton and cut and pasted each FP page info into that and resaved using the same filename. That takes care of any anchors throughout the site.

Then I closed FP and opened EditPlus and went to work on the changes. Made a lot of use of Ctrl H (find and replace) and tried a global replace program too. Personally I was uneasy with it, not sure it would find everything. But really had to comb through each line of code to root out the crappy stuff left over.

If you're looking to validate your code, you need to avoid using Front Page borders coz FP assigns a 2-alphanumeric name (as I recall) to the border and it will not validate. Solution: use Includes. They're so easy to do in Front Page and do not require a .shtml extension. To assign include files to positions on your page, you'll need to be in the FP editor to do that. Any questions, you may contact me offlist.

Besides includes, "Recalculating hypertext links" is a very nice feature of FP. Be sure to do that when you're finished and before you publish the site.

Another tip: I would be extremely careful about directly ftp-ing changed pages directly to the server (rather than Publishing). It can break the FP extensions. However, files like executables, text files, script files like Cold Fusion (.cfm) or ASP files can be ftp'd directly if you need to do so.

I'm sure others have a lot more ideas. My condolences.

Best,
Sharon
Sharon F. Malone
"web design and Internet writing services"
http://www.24caratdesign.com
sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com
*No keyboard detected.*
*Press F10 to proceed.*