[thelist] [DHTML] Elements with the same ID

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Tue Mar 18 23:37:18 CST 2003

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 04:37:13PM +1100, Mark M wrote:
> Looks like it does work actually.. managed to stumble my way across this cute
> little article.
> http://www.webreference.com/js/tips/000921.html

They're wrong, unfortunately. It may work in some browsers because the
browser allows sloppy code; however, it's not actually proper to do
it this way.

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1#id-as-selector
HTML [2] also introduces the 'ID' attribute which is guaranteed to have a
unique value over the document.

I'm sure there's an equivalent statement in the HTML and ECMA-262
(Javascript) docs, I just don't know where it would be...

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]